Disclaimer: The views, suggestions and opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of the experts. No ZEX PR Wire journalist or Editor was involved in the writing and production of this article.
COVID-19 crisis has highlighted the intensity of the water scarcity crisis as over 3 billion people do not have enough water to even clean their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds frequently. AMPAC USA, a leading manufacturer of technologically advanced, reliable, and high-quality water purification systems, has highlighted the need for portable water purification systems, especially in countries, states and regions where water scarcity might lead to massive outbreaks of novel coronavirus.
CALIFORNIA CITY, Calif.,
May 17, 2020 (Newswire.com) –
The COVID-19 crisis has shown the world the reality of many harsh truths. One such truth is water scarcity. AMPAC USA believes that portable water purification could be one of the solutions to this huge problem. Here are some harsh facts about water scarcity and some solutions that might help better the situation in the future.
Water Scarcity is Increasing with Time
Most organizations, including the WHO, suggest washing hands more frequently for at least 20 seconds every time to ensure that the disease doesn’t spread further. Sadly, 3 billion people can’t follow these instructions as they don’t have access to basic handwashing facilities at their homes.
- Water shortages first appeared in historical records in the 1800s.
- Since 1900, over 11 billion people have died from droughts and droughts have affected another one billion people as well.
- Only in 1993, March 22 was designated as World Water Day by the UN General Assembly.
- By 2005, 35 percent of the global population was facing chronic water shortages.
- In 2010, over 2 billion people were provided with access to clean water.
- In 2018, 2.1 billion people were living without access to safe drinking water at homes, and over a billion were forced to defecate outside. This number is over 3 billion now and will only increase with time if not dealt with proactively.
The Efforts: The UN agencies, local governments and even a few private companies are trying to provide drinking water and handwashing facilities since the outbreak of the COVID-19 crisis.
Viable Solutions to Tackle Water Scarcity
- AMPAC USA’s CEO has suggested a few viable solutions to tackle water scarcity. Some of them are:
- Capital investments need to be made, especially by low-income countries, to ensure access to clean water and sanitation for as many people are possible.
- Many countries must use existing water resources wisely and set withdrawal limits to reduce wastage—for instance, a cap on water withdrawn for irrigation purposes.
- Measures like water-efficient irrigation should also be considered to save water.
- Water reuse and harvesting should also be encouraged.
The Role of Portable Water Purification
The CEO of AMPAC USA believes that portable water purification is a must for regions where lack of pure water could lead to an exponential increase in COVID-19 disease. Portable Water Purification Systems allow people to have access to pure water 24/7 and ensure proper cleanliness.
Source: AMPAC USA