Hollister, CA, 27th Dec 2021, ZEXPRWIRE, In North America, obesity is the most common preventable disease in dogs. Approximately 25-30% of the general canine population is obese, with 40-45% of dogs aged 5-11 years old weighing in higher than normal, says Dr. Kristina Williams, DVM.
With studies showing that the lifespan of overweight dogs is up to 2 1/2 years shorter, on average, than the lifespan of dogs with a healthy body weight The Popular Pets, a pet site that provides content and products to increase your enjoyment with your pet, is providing tips to encourage pet owners to reap the benefits of a dog walk.
The Popular Pets recognizes the health benefits of walking the dog for both you and your pet, including improved cardiovascular and mental health and fending off diseases related to obesity and is sharing fun ways to make your walk more enjoyable so you can get out there and walk the dog even when the weather may not be cooperating.
- Make a walk date with a friend. Your dog will like the extra company and you can catch up on important news or find a fellow dog lover on aps like Dig, a dating app for dog lovers or Bark Happy or Paway apps that help you discover the dog friendly world around you.
- Use your walk as a teaching moment by committing to teaching your dog something new when you are out and about. Apps like Puppr – Dog Training & Tricks app allow you to take dog training tips on the go with lessons and photo sharing to share the evidence and connect with the community when your dog has mastered his new skill.
- Try a new outfit. Winter is a great excuse for a splurge on matching trenchcoats for you and your dog or maybe just a new bandana. Either way this established trick is sure to motivate and put some fun in your next walk.
- Switch it up. The same route can become a bit of a yawn, finding somewhere new to explore will add interest and new photo opportunities!
- Experiment with nosework. Stop on your next walk for a short game of nosework. Play by first making your dog sit, scatter treats and then release your dog with a cue to “find it.” Keep up the challenge by getting progressively more difficult with where you hide the treats.
- Play a game like Doggo Bingo by spotting commonly found items when out and about with dogs and marking them on your Doggo Bingo free printable. Compete with friends and share your results.
- Listen to a podcast only when on your walk. Certain fun dog related podcasts like Can I Pet Your Dog? Will have you laughing as you wait for pup to leave his peemails on everything. Reserve the fun for only at walk times to keep you motivated to go out for more.
Dog walks improve mental and physical health for you and your dog, fend off diseases related to obesity and improve behavior. Most dogs (and people) will see these benefits with between 30 minutes to two hours of physical activity per day but there are truly few things dogs love more than a good walk with their favorite person. So, celebrate dog walk month with plenty of walks and with a pledge — better health for you and your dog while also having fun!
About The Popular PetsThe Popular Pets is all about promoting fun with your pet with tips, tricks and resources at www.thepopularpets.com including the latest book release Motherpuppin Adorable: What to do when your dog is better than everyone else’s available on Amazon a tongue – and cheek guide all about navigating life with your dog from dating to weddings and the perfect social media profile. Find The Popular Pets on Instagram.
The Popular Pets